Re: [gNewSense-users] I am unable to boot from vmlinuz-2.6.33.3-libre-le

From: Christophe Jarry
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] I am unable to boot from vmlinuz-2.6.33.3-libre-lemote since upgrade
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 14:44:53 +0200

> I meant just plain "mount". It shows which partitions are mounted where.

Under 2.6.33.3:

    $ sudo mount
    tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
    rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)

Under 2.6.37:

    $sudo mount
    tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
    rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
    /dev/sda2 on /home type ext3 (rw)

So the only difference between the 2 is the "/dev/sda2 on /home type ext3 (rw)"
line, which appears only under 2.6.37.

> What's the content of /proc/partitions for both kernels?

Under 2.6.33.3:

    $ cat /proc/partitions
    major minor  #blocks  name

       3        0  156290904 hda
       3        1    9767488 hda1
       3        2   58597087 hda2
       3        3     979965 hda3
       3        4   86943780 hda4

Under 2.6.37:

    $ cat /proc/partitions
    major minor  #blocks  name

       8        0  156290904 sda
       8        1    9767488 sda1
       8        2   58597087 sda2
       8        3     979965 sda3
       8        4   86943780 sda4

> > fsck does check my partitions from time to time, without error. Is it
> > required that I run it manually?
>
> Probably only /, not /home (see "man fstab").

It also checks /home since I changed the last column from "0" to "2" on the line
corresponding to /etc/{h,s}da2.

Christophe