Re: [gNewSense-users] What part of Debian is nonfree?

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] What part of Debian is nonfree?
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 16:15:54 +0100

Quiliro Ordóñez wrote:
> Thank you Michal and Michael.
>
> So this means Debian has still many packages that are nonfree besides
> the kernel that now is 100% free?

I would not say there are "many packages that are nonfree" in the 'main'
repository and only the 'main' repository is configured on install. The
official installer is free software. The kernels are consider compliant
with the DFSG by Debian but I do not know if gNewSense consider them
free or non-free software.

However, there is more to it than that. AFAIK, gNewSense aims to create
a "Free System Distribution" as defined in:
http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html
where as Debian aims to create a distribution given in the "set of
commitments" of Debian Social Contract:
http://www.debian.org/social_contract

There is more information at
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/common-distros.html
but I think the Debian entry needs to be redone.

Mike.