Re: [gNewSense-users] What part of Debian is nonfree?

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] What part of Debian is nonfree?
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 15:26:10 +1000

On Sat, 07 May 2011 19:56:49 +0100
Michael Dorrington <address@hidden> wrote:

> Michał Masłowski wrote:
> > http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/gnewsense/metad/annotate/head:/parkes/blacklist.nonfree
> > lists some non-free packages from main.
>
> That list needs updating. Looking down the first few items:
>
> aee - "Valid" due to disagreement between Debian and FSF.
> afio - Not in stable (squeeze) or testing (wheezy) due to licence.
> app-install-data-commercial - Not in Debian.
> b43-fwcutter - In contrib, not main.
> bcm43xx-fwcutter - Not in Debian.

A lot of these things are added because it costs nothing to have them
removed (as they arent there), but having them made syncing with the
libreplanet wiki much easier.
The reason aside, i agree it could do with a cleanup (and needs
updating from the bts too)

> > http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/gnewsense/metad/annotate/head:/parkes/blacklist.needsclean
> > lists packages which contain or recommend non-free software, but
> > could be modified into free ones.
>
> This needs updating too, for instance, thunderbird is not in Debian.

Its called icedove in debian, so that entry would need to be renamed.

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au