Re: [gNewSense-users] Not able to reach Login screen - Display issue

From: Shailesh Ghadge
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Not able to reach Login screen - Display issue
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 00:06:11 +0530 (IST)

--- On Fri, 29/4/11, Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Try "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop" to keep it from
> restarting.
Thanks.

> Once GDM is stopped, run "startx" to start a GUI session.
> If that works, then there's a problem with your GDM and you
> should try another display manager, e.g. XDM (sudo aptitude
> install xdm).
After running "startx", only the wallpaper & mouse appeared. Nothing else. No
context menu.

I switched back to text mode and ran "sudo aptitude install xdm"
After installation, i select xdm as default instead of gdm.

After reboot, the login screen(xdm) appeared, However, after login the same
thing happened. A desktop with only Wallpaper & movable mouse cursor.