Re: [gNewSense-users] Not able to reach Login screen - Display issue

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Not able to reach Login screen - Display issue
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 22:11:59 +0200

> After gNewSense starts booting, it gets stuck on the point of
> Display. And a message is shown which says
> " Display service has been shutdown about 6 times in the last 90
> seconds. It is likely something bad is going on. Waiting for 2 minutes
> before trying again on display"

Is it gNewSense version 2.3 (deltah)?  Have you used it previously on
this machine without this problem?  What graphics card do you have
("lspci -nn" in a terminal will show it)?  The content of the
/var/log/Xorg.0.log file would usually contain some information about
such problems (output of "dmesg" is also useful).

Misconfigured /etc/X11/xorg.conf usually caused such problem on my
computers, old X and drivers also can do this.

(I haven't used gNewSense 2.3 or 3.0 on non-mipsel architectures, I
assume it's similar to other distros.)