Re: [gNewSense-users] AMD Opens Up XvBA

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] AMD Opens Up XvBA
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 18:22:05 +0100

> How good is this? Is this just another bait for capturing the user?
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTEzNg

Free drivers for different hardware already have other APIs for similar
tasks available and implemented in useful programs.  There are
completely different issues making Radeon cards not have 2d or 3d
acceleration when used without non-free software.

I don't know if this will encourage users to buy AMD cards or to use
them with non-free drivers, I don't use such features of any graphics
cards (since hardware/free drivers don't support it or I don't need it).