Re: [gNewSense-users] broke package management (warning long)

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] broke package management (warning long)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 21:37:43 +1030

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 13:05:35 -0800 (PST)
Lori Nagel <address@hidden> wrote:

(heavily trimmed)

> For anyone interested in how I broke my package management in
> gNewSense (a ubuntu derivative)
> read on the terminal commands that I have tried.
> I still do not understand what I did that led to it not working
> anymore.

You don't include the step where you broke the package management, only
the parts after.

> address@hidden:~/Programs$ sudo apt-get install gtk-devel
> [sudo] password for jastiv:
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
> to correct the problem.

The key thing to ask at this point is: What did I do to cause this
error?

> address@hidden:~/Programs$ dpkg --configure
> dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege
> address@hidden:~/Programs$ sudo dpkg --configure
> dpkg: --configure needs at least one package name argument

[...]

> address@hidden:~/Programs$ sudo apt-get -f install
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
> to correct the problem.

> address@hidden:~/Programs$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
> [sudo] password for jastiv:
> Setting up initramfs-tools (0.85eubuntu36) ...
> update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
>
> Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.30.7-libre-fshoppe1
> Cannot find /lib/modules/2.6.30.7-libre-fshoppe1
> update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.30.7-libre-fshoppe1
> dpkg: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Looks like a bug in initrd.img-2.6.30.7-libre-fshoppe1.

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au