Re: [gNewSense-users] dual monitors with ati radeon

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] dual monitors with ati radeon
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 22:40:17 +0100

Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
Thanks, I get:
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//ati_drv.so
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//radeon_drv.so

At 640x480 on both monitors, it actually is successful and I get a continuous desktop across the monitors. But any other combination of resolutions either shuts one of the monitors off or clones it.

Earlier discussion on this mailing list [1] suggests that screen resolution is limited with gNewSense's radeon support. The solution of installing a newer version of the driver is probably not really a solution at all, because I suspect that will also install the blob that was deliberately removed because of freedom issues.

[1] http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-users/2009-07/msg00028.html