[gNewSense-users] Re: Metad LXDE Setup

From: Paul Roge
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: Metad LXDE Setup
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 00:24:42 -0600

Thanks for all the suggestions. Below is an update of where I am at with
setting up the LXDE.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 13:19:00 -0600
Paul Roge <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1) The battery monitor panel item does not display properly.

I think this is the problem: the LXDE battery monitor uses ACPI, which isn't
monitoring the Yeeloong battery for some reason. APM does however. Hardinfo,
which was automatically installed with LXDE, does monitor the battery.
Additionally, I have installed xapm and xbattbar, which use APM, as well. I
wasn't able to find any charge_now file on my system to check the battery
status using the cat command, however.

> 2) I am only able to mount usb and pcmcia volumes manually or via the
> pcmanfm gui.

I decided on using pmount for now, which works well for usb devices. Usbmount
has allowed me to find devices from the card reader, but I don't like how it
labels usb devices. I may try vfu, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

> 3) I am currently using with network-manager and network-manager-gnome
> for connecting to the internet.

wicd is working very well. I had to get it from Debian backports, which was a
little confusing at first! I imagine it will become part of the gnewsense
repository down the line.

- Paul

--
Paul Roge