Re: [gNewSense-users] emacs manual is missing

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] emacs manual is missing
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 19:55:18 +0100

> I installed gNewSense, started emacs and recognized that the emacs manual is
> missing. Is this intended?

I assume it is metad (3 beta based on Debian Lenny), since deltah
shouldn't have this problem and parkes is not installable yet.

The manual contains essays about free software and documentation, they
are not modifiable (since they state opinions and don't need the
freedoms used with useful works).  FSF and gNS consider them free, but
Debian doesn't so it has a separate package [0] for Emacs documentation.
Not including it in gNS doesn't look intentional.

You can download the package from [0] and install it using dpkg -i (I
haven't tested it).

[0] http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/emacs23-common-non-dfsg