Re: [gNewSense-users] lemote metad (3.0) network manager error

From: Vladimir B. Tsarkov
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] lemote metad (3.0) network manager error
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:58:37 +0400

Good afternoon!

> I have been using network manager on my Lemote Yeeloong for some time
> because I feel better with it than with wicd. I feels more integrated
> with gnome. I have the problem that when an IP is requested with dhcp,
> it will not find any untill I open a terminal window and request it
> manually with sudo dhclient3 eth0. Then I click on the eth0 link on
> network manager icon and it will disconnect and reconnect with the
> dhcp IP. Why does it need to be done this way? Where can I find more
> info about what happens on my system?

Take a look at http://man.he.net/man8/dhclient3:

On startup, dhclient reads the dhclient.conf for
configuration instructions. It then gets a list
of all the  network  interfaces  that  are
configured  in the current system. For each interface,
it attempts to configure the interface using the DHCP protocol.

In order to keep track of  leases  across  system  reboots  and  server
restarts,  dhclient  keeps a list of leases it has been assigned in the
dhclient.leases(5) file.   On startup, after reading the  dhclient.conf
file,  dhclient  reads  the  dhclient.leases file to refresh its memory
about what leases it has been assigned.

May be, you need a script (with "dhclient3 eth0" inside) that would
run on every system startup? Besides, take a look at dhclient.leases file.

Good luck!
Vladimir