Re: [gNewSense-users] lemote metad (3.0) network manager error

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] lemote metad (3.0) network manager error
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 20:09:00 -0400

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Quiliro Ordóñez <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi folks,

I have been using network manager on my Lemote Yeeloong for some time
because I feel better with it than with wicd. I feels more integrated
with gnome. I have the problem that when an IP is requested with dhcp,
it will not find any untill I open a terminal window and request it
manually with sudo dhclient3 eth0. Then I click on the eth0 link on
network manager icon and it will disconnect and reconnect with the
dhcp IP. Why does it need to be done this way? Where can I find more
info about what happens on my system?

I think this is a timing issue. I'm sure there are already filed bugs about it.

The version of network-manager at http://gnewsense.freedomincluded.com/dists/3/network-manager/ - 0.7.1-1~bpo50+1 - seems to always work; newer version haven't for me. So I just pin that package at that version ( cf http://wiki.debian.org/AptPreferences )

There are relatively detailed debug instructions for network-manager up at http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/Debugging

(I'm not spending a lot of time on this as if I did have time to spend on stuff like this I would instead spend it on helping with the effort to get a version of gNewSense based on Debian Squeeze available, which I'm guessing would just fix this and a lot of other problems due to more recent versions of a whole lot of stuff.)

--
        \|/      Daniel JB Clark | Activist; Owner
FREEDOM -+-> INCLUDED ~ http://freedomincluded.com