Re: [gNewSense-users] metad yeeloong install error message

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] metad yeeloong install error message
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 00:36:45 +0930

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 16:01:50 -0700 (PDT)
address@hidden wrote:

> I wrote yesterday that I got an error message while doing an install.
> When Karl asked what the contents of the message were, I felt a
> little embarrassed and decided to get some useful information for him.

Thanks for taking the time :)

> So I re-did the install just now and got the same messages, and the
> install finished OK again.

Do you have a savannah account? If you do it would be great to have a
bug about this.

> After I answered the questions about the command line and default
> command line ("quiet"), I got a dialog box with the header:
>
> Configuring linux-image-2.6.32.11-libre1-lemote.
>
> "You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image
> linux-image-2.6.32.11-libre1-lemote. This will not work unless you
> have configured your boot loader to use initrd. (...)
>
> I repeat, You need to configure your boot loader - please read...
>
> If you have already done so, and you wish to get rid of this message,
> please put "do-initrd=Yes" in /etc/kernel-img.conf.
>
> Note that this is optional, but if you do, you will continue to see
> this message whenever you install a kernel image using initrd.
>
> Do you want to abort now?"
>
> I answered 'no' and continued.

We should probably fix this problem. There are two ways:
- we install grub (correctly?) (my preference)
- we hack out the warning, as we know pmon will boot it correctly
(perhaps a secondary fix).

> ------------------------
>
> Later on I got a second message, with the header:
>
> !Continue without boot loader
> No boot loader installed
>
> "No boot loader has been installed either because you chose not to or
> because your specific architecture doesn't support a boot loader yet.
>
> You will need to boot manually with the /vmlinux kernel on /dev/hda1
> and root=/dev/hda1 passed as a kernel argument."

as above :)

> I finished the install and re-booted normally without any problems.
> I saw a Grub screen as I have previously.
>
> Why did I receive those messages?

because of the way we install grub. we should really fix that before we
do our final release :)

> Will I have a problem when a new kernel version is ready?

if grub is getting loaded, you should be able to select kernels there
as normal.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)