Re: [gNewSense-users] new install on Yeeloong, using xfce

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] new install on Yeeloong, using xfce
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:30:35 +0200

Il giorno sabato 24/07/2010 13:43:16 CEST
address@hidden ha scritto:

> [...] So I ended up installing X and xfce4.
>
> It looks nice and seems quicker than the gnome desktop, and I also
> added xdm so I get a graphical login and don't have to type
> startxfce4 every time.  (I tried gdm, but it loaded a boatload of
> other software, so I removed it and went with xdm.)
>
> [...]
>
> 2. Any better lightweight desktops for metad on Yeeloong?

Hi Pete

I am planning to reuse a old IBM ThinkPad iSeries 1200 laptop,
with very low hardware resources. I will use it with gNewSense 3.0.

So, the first step to me is to choose the most suitable graphical
environment (the better compromise among resources consumption, simple
setup and configuration, and features). To do this, I have run some
tests to compare some lightweight graphical environments (I will
publish a detailed report soon).

I have compared:
- fluxbox, plus a panel (fbpanel, xfce4-pamnel) and a file manager
  (xfe, thunar)
- xfce4 (some different software confs)
- lxde (some different release and software confs)

The better choice to me (the better compromise among resources
consumption, simple setup and configuration, and features) is LXDE (but
maybe you have different needs and different parameters when choosing).
See: http://lxde.org/lxde

Some points comparing lxde and xfce4 (with similar software
configurations = similar apps and features):
- both multiplatform (intel and MIPS included)
- lxde is "ligther" (less memory and system usage)
- ldxe has less "external" dependencies
- lxde is/will be supported by debian (squeeze): this means it should
  will be also supported by the final gNS 3.0 release...
Also see:
http://www.bargincomputing.com/2009/03/xfce-versus-lxde/

Regarding the graphic login manager, I totally agree with you
when removing gdm :-)

As a lightweight login manager, I suggest using slim, which also has a
gNewSense theme. See:
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/ArtworkTeam/ArtworkTeam#toc5

There is also lxdm, a login manager written for lxde, still in
development but usable (I will try it soon or later...):
http://blog.lxde.org/?cat=374

Regards
al3xu5 / dotcommon

--