[gNewSense-users] new install on Yeeloong, using xfce

From: usonaulo-pete
Subject: [gNewSense-users] new install on Yeeloong, using xfce
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:43:16 -0700 (PDT)

I wrote a while back, complaining about problems with gnome keyrings, etc. on my Yeeloong netbook that had pre-installed gnome metad.  One person reminded me how to re-load from the beginning, using the instructions on the gnewsense metad page.

Well, I finally did that last night, also using the excellent document "gNewSense on Lemote YeeLoong" by Cato Auestad. (thanks Cato!)

I encountered an error message near the end of the install, after the GRUB parms were entered, telling me that I didn't have initrd kernel options set.

I continued, and didn't have any problems after.

Since I selected Standard install, I didn't have X installed when I was done.  So I ended up installing X and xfce4.

It looks nice and seems quicker than the gnome desktop, and I also added xdm so I get a graphical login and don't have to type startxfce4 every time.  (I tried gdm, but it loaded a boatload of other software, so I removed it and went with xdm.)

Some questions:
1. Any particular problems with xfce?  I'm accustomed to gnome on Ubuntu, so I will be moving forward slowly.

2. Any better lightweight desktops for metad on Yeeloong?

3. Will vlc and other multimedia apps work OK with it?

Thanks for any feedback I get.

--pete