Re: [gNewSense-users] USB Modems

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] USB Modems
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 20:27:03 +0930

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 17:13:33 -0500
Quiliro Ordóñez <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mi ISP has 2 available models for USB modems. The ones on
> http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/index_html/modems are not available.
> The two are: Haier CE100 and Huawei EC168C. Below are the results for
> lspci and for tail -f /var/log messages for each modem. I don't know
> how to configure either of then on the Lemote Yeeloong. I was
> wondering if they work with nonfree software. If I cannot configure
> these I could import a modem that is capable of doing the same things
> as either of them otherwise the ISP will not be able to help me.
> Please give me some pointers to what to do to stay free. Thank you.

Huawei devices tend to be detected everywhere i've tried them, but that
was the older devices. I don't know if they have freedom issues or not.

> $ lsusb
> Bus 003 Device 003: ID 12d1:1412 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
> Huawei EC168C
>

> Jun  4 13:10:15 yeeloong kernel: [ 1054.364000] usb 4-2: USB
> disconnect, address 7
> Jun  4 13:10:15 yeeloong kernel: [ 1054.364000] option1 ttyUSB0: GSM
> modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0

Did you remove the device? other then these lines it was looking good.
From that point (and some browsing the web) you should be able to dial
the device and move from there.

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au