[gNewSense-users] Re:Learning GNU Emacs

From: Siddharth
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re:Learning GNU Emacs
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 15:37:26 +0530

> Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 15:08:01 +0200
> From: Manolinux <address@hidden>

> Learning emacs was quite hard for me because I didn't like any of the
> tutorials I found, because they entered too early in deep concerns. I
> wrote a very fast tutorial (I called it miniman emacs), but it is not
> online at the moment (my hosting closed).
>
> Here are the basics, you can use others tutorials to get deeper:
>
> Glossary
> ------------
> In tutorials you will found some things are called diferently in emacs:
>
> Meta key: Alt key
> Buffer: a file opened in emacs (is similar to tabs in gedit)
> Window: not a GUI window, but one zone in the GUI window
> Kill text: cut text
> Kill buffer: close a buffer
>
> Key combination
> ------------------------
>

> C-<key> means Ctrl + <key>
> M-<key> means Alt + <key> (Alt key is called Meta key on almost all tutorials)
>

> Quit emacs: C-x C-c (this means pressing Ctrl + x, relasing them, and
> pressing C + c)
> Save file: C-x C-s
> Opening a file: C-x C-f
> Closing a file: C-x k (press Ctrl + x, release them, and press k)
> Jump to another of the opened buffers: C-x b
> Split the window: C-x 2 (horizontal) or C-x 3 (vertical)
>

> Start selecting text: C-<space>
> Copying text: M-w (this copies from the position where you pressed
> C-<space> to the current cursor possition)
> Cutting text: C-w
> Pasting text: M-y (or middle mouse button)

Thank you Mu.
The command C-x 3 was the only thing that was new to me , I think i am
quiet familiar with other commands .

I got so comfortable with the emacs navigation commands that I now use
that same navigation and editing commands with my browser ( icecat )
through the Firemacs add-on .

--
R.Siddharth