Re: [gNewSense-users] Learning GNU Emacs .

From: Cato Auestad
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Learning GNU Emacs .
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 16:25:18 +0200

On 6/1/10, Siddharth <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 14:48 +0200, Cato Auestad wrote:
>> Nice :) As a Emacs newbie myself I find EmacsWiki[1] an incredible
>> resource. You should also check out the #emacs IRC channel on
>> FreeNode.
>>
>> [1] http://emacswiki.org/
>
> Thanks for the link Cato Auestad . I will have a look at the site . If
> your are consenting , I wish to know what you do in emacs ? , its just
> out of curiosity that I am asking , since I am told that there is so
> much you can do with emacs , some even relate it (emacs) with an
> operating system .

Sure thing. I use Emacs for writing texinfo documents (I try to
maintain a manual of simplistic installation instructions for gNS on
Lemote YeeLoong), general notetaking and also modifying code (I don't
write that much code myself, but I tend to modify stuff to make it
work a way I prefer). I have also used Emacs as an IRC client with erc
(Mx erc) and as a Gmail client with Wanderlust (I think it was
called). Just for fun I also used it as a default shell (some
instructions on EmacsWiki) for a day or two but that isn't a good idea
for long-term use.

There are a mode that's called Org-mode that supposed to be awesome
but I haven't really grasped that one yet. Just check out the
different addons on the EmacsWiki. There is something for everything
:)

--
Cato Auestad
bleakgadfly

"Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build
 your own, and let it grow, be like Emacs. Empty
 your mind, be formless, shapeless - like Emacs.
 If you put Emacs in a cup it becomes the cup, if
 you put into a bottle it becomes the bottle. You
 put Emacs into a teapot it becomes the teapot.
 Now, Emacs can flow or it can crash. Be Emacs, my friend"