Re: [gNewSense-users] Metad on Yeeloong 8101: "iwlist wlan0 scan" fails

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Metad on Yeeloong 8101: "iwlist wlan0 scan" fails
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 09:30:31 +0930

On Sun, 16 May 2010 21:30:55 +0200
Christophe Jarry <address@hidden> wrote:

> > It was a private email exchange, actually.
> > He said he tried to switch wlan0 up by using iwconfig... And I
> > recommended using ifconfig. That's it.
>
> > But the thing is: wlan0 should be switched on automatically at
> > startup.
> > So I wonder if Christophe has fixed the issue in /etc/init.d found
> > by Sam:
> > http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-users/2010-05/msg00012.html
> > https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?29838
>
> > @Christophe
> > Do you have this symlink?
>
> > ln -s /etc/init.d/yeeloong-base /etc/rcS.d/S38yeeloong-base
>
> No, I prefer activating it manually as I am not allways using
> wireless.

Ideally you'd set /etc/default/yeeloong-base to disable the wifi, since
we'll break your setup by enabling that link later.

> @Karl:
>
> cat /etc/network/interfaces
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

If you are not using network-manager you'll need a stanza for your wifi
too.

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

(or static, if that is relevant for your setup).

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au