Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense on a live flash drive with persistence

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense on a live flash drive with persistence
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 22:25:51 +0200

Μανόλης Νίνος schreef:
I already use gNewSense on a live flash drive,
but I have not managed to make one with persistence yet,
so that I can store stuff on the flash drive.
If this is technically possible,
can you help me?

I use only GNU/Linux operating systems of course,
Ubuntu 9.10 for example,
and I made the flash
with the application     " USB startup creator. "

Instead of creating a live drive I did a regular install of gNS on a USB drive, choosing to also install GRUB on the USB drive in the last installation step. This boots fine and the system/data can be modified just like on a plain desktop installation. A live system is probably more flexible with regards to hardware recognition, but so far I haven't seen any problems booting my drive on different computers.

Alternatively, a live drive with a second partition labelled "casper-rw" might also work [1], but I haven't tried that myself.

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence