[gNewSense-users] Re: free wifi adapters

From: Niklas Cholmkvist
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: free wifi adapters
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 17:22:48 +0300

> Michael Stevens schreef:
> > On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 03:45:34PM +0000, Michael Stevens wrote:
> >>
> https://adsl24.co.uk/store/network-adapters/wireless-adapters/netgear-wg111-wireless-g-usb-adapter/prod_5.html
> >>
> >> which seems to be on the FSF approved list. It's for use in a
> Thinkpad
> >> where the onboard wifi doesn't have free drivers.
> >
> > On further testing I can confirm this works nicely on gnewsense, but
> you
> > need to build the current linux-libre 2.6.33 kernel.
Did you try with any of the 2.6.32 kernels?
The latest one(in the mips64 metad repository) is 2.6.32.10 I think.

Sam Geeraerts wrote:

> Excellent.
>
> If you're looking for space to put that information on for future
> reference, might I suggest the hardware section of our wiki [1]? A
> hardware compatibility list (with instructions if needed and (direct)
> shop links if known) would be useful.
>
> [1]
> http://wiki.gnewsense.org/HardwareCompatibilityManual/HardwareCompatibilityManual

At the moment
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/HardwareCompatibilityManual/HardwareCompatibilityManual
 is an organisation page with:
Table of Contents
      * Why Some Hardware Does Not Work
      * Recommended Hardware
      * Laptop and Netbook Guide
      * Peripherals Guide

If I was to add anything I think, the most relevant section would be
"Peripherals Guide". So far it has information about webcams and
bluetooth hardware.
I researched a bit in the market of my part of the world(Greece) for
this hardware and I'm currently waiting for a response to an email for
them to confirm which hardware version of the Netgear WG111 they sell at
plaisio.gr . WG111v2? WG111v3? I'll see in the response.

Regards,

Niklas