Re: [gNewSense-users] sharing & overhead

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] sharing & overhead
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 20:27:51 +0930

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 21:46:28 -0300
Freemor <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 08:07:55 +0800
> Peter Rock <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > Flattr makes it easy to manage. Once the account is created and gNS
> > is added, then it is all automated. The fee is 2 euro per month. I
> > alone would end up flattering gNS each month to cover the fees.
> > There is not a "large administrative overhead" involved in this
>
> You are neglecting to factor it the person (who's time is not free)
> that must. Do the accounting for the donations including tax related
> stuff. The person who need to check the rate of donations vs the rate
> of fees + accounting + Webadmin (to make sure the button works right..
> is on the site, is up to date, etc) is in the black and not the red.
> and other factors that I'm sure I've neglected to consider. Dev's want

Keeping the records public enough (for whatever value of enough is
needed), and making sure the in+out balance, and making sure the people
who donate can see where their donations go.

> to develop, not manage finances.
>

> > Anyway, I don't work for Flattr nor do I have any ulterior motive -
> > I'm just throwing out an idea that I thought could help gNS.

> I don't think that the Dev's are dismissing your idea out of hand. It

Not dismissing the idea of donations, not by a long shot.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au