Re: [gNewSense-users] Installing Programs that are not in the Repos .

From: Mu
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Installing Programs that are not in the Repos .
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:57:52 +0200

> Yes , I have downloaded emacs-23.tar.gz file from emacs's site and I
> also downloaded a file with .sig extension .

The sig file is a "signature" file to check that the download was
correct, but let's forget about it for now.

> Where will I have to uncompress the archive that I have downloaded ? ,
> Can it be 'anywhere' in the file system or is there a specific directory
> in which I got to uncompress it ? .

Anywhere you want.

> What does this build-essential package do , I ran
> 'apt-cache show build-essential' in terminal to read the brief
> description of what the package does but unforunately I am not able
> understand what it says .

You probably know that the programs are written in a code. That code
needs to be "cooked" to produce an usable program. This is called to
compile. The build-essential provide the tools needed to compile.

Mu.