Re: [gNewSense-users] Early Draft of a gNewSense flyer

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Early Draft of a gNewSense flyer
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 21:39:53 +0100

al3xu5 / dotcommon schreef:
Il giorno giovedì 18/03/2010 10:38:53 CET
Leo Rockway <address@hidden> ha scritto:

On Thursday 18 March 2010 14:14:07 Karl Goetz wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 13:36:26 +0200 Lars Nooden
<address@hidden> wrote:
Ok.  I have an initial draft for a generic flyer.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lars/Flyers/Trifold-A4-gNewSense.odg

I would welcome feedback about what is good, wrong, unclear,
clear, missing or redundant. [...]

Good!

Just some little proposals, if I can.

- 1st page, front
Statement:
"gNewSense is a fully free distribution built on GNU Utilities and the Linux Kernel"
I suggest:
"gNewSense is a fully free GNU/Linux distribution built on the GNU
Operating System and the Linux kernel"

That's double. I'd say:
"gNewSense is a fully free software distribution built on the GNU operating system and the Linux kernel."
(No need for capitals in "operating system".)

- 2nd page, center
To increase accordance with the free software definition, I suggest to
replace the statement: "redistribute changes"
with somethig like this:
"distribute copies of your modified versions to others"

The idea is to inform the reader quickly, so it should be concise. Your suggestion is closer to the usual wording, but I think "redistribute changes" is fine here. Readers that are truly interested will go to the website and probably find the free software definition by clicking around a bit.

- 2nd page, right
This statement seems unclear and misses some words:
"Recently a series of new and netbooks have started using MIPS, such as
from the vendors Lemote and Gdium."
I suggest something like this:
"Recently new computer and netbook series using MIPS become available,
such as those from the vendors Lemote and Gdium."

"... have become available ..."

I should note that only the upcoming gNewSense 3 supports MIPS and AMD64 and that is still in beta stage. But it's good to mention Lemote anyway.

* Inside L:
- I would change "binary blobs" to "sourceless blobs" to put the emphasis on what we want (source) instead of what we don't want (binary-only). We also don't want uninformed people to immediately make the association that binaries are bad. After all, we compile software to binary form first to make it run.

* Inside:
- This seems to be missing something: "non-free software by default non-free kernel drivers" - The GLX issue was not a blob in the "sourceless blob" sense, but rather a license issue [1]. I'd say "the GLX encumberance".

The first page of the trifold has a link to the CC BY SA 3.0 license
at the bottom.

The gNewSense logo is GPLv2+, the GNU logo is under a "don't make GNU look bad" license, don't know about the rest. I'm not sure what options that leaves for the license of the whole.

[1] http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00103