Re: [gNewSense-users] (Long and sort of) OT: Converting people to freeso

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] (Long and sort of) OT: Converting people to freesoftware (was: Songbird freedom)
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 14:58:58 -0800 (PST)

Nuno Miguel dos Santos Baeta <address@hidden> wrote ..

> This solution of installing Ubuntu causes, IMO, a big problem.

But yet you still do it. :) Perhaps I'm misreading but it seems that your
solution when a problem surfaces is to help them install a distro that includes
and recommends non-free software, instead of finding out why their free
software distro is not working like it should. Maybe it's a bug that should be
reported? Maybe the bug has already been fixed upstream? Maybe a newer version
of some package is needed? Maybe it's something else?

For example: The very first time I installed gNS on my laptop I found that my
WiFi didn't work. After some searching I found that it required a binary blob
to operate. Instead of using a non-free distro I quickly wently online via
ethernet and purchased a new WiFi card that was supported by the free ath5k
driver. After the card arrived the WiFi still didn't work because the version
of ath5k included in the stock gNS kernel was too old to include support for my
card. So I replaced the kernel with a newer version from linux-libre, restarted
and -- boom -- my card then worked. And I haven't given up any freedom.  :)

So I think that troubleshooting these problems further would be useful, and if
it turns out that the hardware needs to be replaced or simply needs newer a
newer software version than what's in gNS, then installing /that/ is, IMO, a
better solution than setting them up with Ubuntu (or other distro that doesn't
repect the user's freedom.) Also, there are other free software distros at
gnu.org/distos so it's possible that others many include sufficently new
versions to work out of the box.

The hardware should only be 100% unsupportable by a free software distro if it
requires non-free software (like a binary blob, etc.) to operate. In those
cases it's better, IMO, to educate the user about what's going on and why it's
better to buy hardware from manufacturers that do care about freedom (think
Yeeloong, NanoNote, Open Graphics Project, etc.)