Re: [gNewSense-users] network connection

From: dajo
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] network connection
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 14:16:16 -0700

I downloaded the 2.6.30.7 kernel and did the installation; it did not
boot.  So I wrote to the keeper of the libre site, including the error
messages, and he replied as below.  I still would like to use gNewSense -
a lot, I believe in the objective.  So, if anyone can tell me the name of
a network card that definitely will work with 2.3 then I shall get it; I
trust that everyone understands that I want to access the net, and use my
printers, etc. whatever OS I use.  Otherwise I shall have to wait for 2.4
or something; I do not have the time to investigate the issues myself.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions and help.  Good Luck on the
project.
dajo

gNewSense 2.3 comes with a 2.6.26 version kernel and the farther you get
away from that kernel version the bigger the risk of some
incompatibilities arising with the rest of the operating system. In your
case, it's most probably the X server not wanting to play nicely with a
2.6.30.7 version kernel.

Uninstall that 2.6.30.7 kernel (both image and headers package) and try
installing an older kernel version from Freedom Shoppe. 2.6.28 or 2.6.27
releases have a bigger chance of not breaking the graphics system.

Ali

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 09:22:56 +0100
Graziano <address@hidden> wrote:

> Il giorno sab, 06/03/2010 alle 21.01 -0800, Jason Self ha scritto:
> > On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 5:38 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Wrt my problem, I gather that I should buy another ethernet card
> >
> > Not necessarily. What I gathered from Graziano's message is that it
> > should work if you get a newer kernel.
>

> Deblobbed tg3 is present and functioning in linux libre 2.6.30.7 for
> example:
>
> www.aligunduz.org/gNewSense
>
> I don't know since which version it is included.

in gNS? we only include linux-libre on mipsel at the moment (later
we'll add it for ia32/amd64).

> So if you download that version, that afaik is the linux libre
> compiled most up to date version, you will be fine.

for clarity (although i suspect you are saying this) - linux-libre
itself has newer releases, but none of them have handy packages to
download+install[1].

[1] lxo is looking at fixing this, fwiw.

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au