[gNewSense-users] Re: Installing metad on FuLoong

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: Installing metad on FuLoong
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 04:29:47 -0500

Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 21:28:24 +0200
> Lars Nooden <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> The installation process seems to be a bit different for the Yeeloong
>> than for the FuLoong.
>>
>> Using initrd and vmlinux from this address:
>>
>> http://archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-metad/installer/current/mipsel/loongson/netboot/
>>
>> The first three steps are the same when installing from USB
>>
>>      enter pmon
>>      load (usb0,0)/boot/vmlinux-2.6.31.6-libre1
>>      initrd (usb0,0)/boot/initrd.gz
>>
>> However, on the Yeeloong, the following works but on the FuLoong, it
>> seems to freeze up:
>>
>>      g console=tty no_auto_cmd
>>
>> How should the netboot install proceed on the FuLong?
>>
>> Regards
>> /Lars
>
> we don't support it. afaik you need to rebuild linux (although perhaps
> the .32 or .33 will run on fuloong).
> kk

They both will, but afaik .32 needs to be compiled for it specifically;
.33 might do it in a nicer way (since support got upstream instead of
being a seperate branch hack.) Should be obvious from the "make
menuconfig" menus.

Lars - Please update with what you get done with this; I'll be hacking
on it a bunch myself when my Lemote order gets to me in a few weeks.

Note that there is a blob in PMON to do some VGA initialization; we're
trying to get that removed - it's unclear at this point if that will
stop VGA from working altogether or only stop PMON stuff from displaying
on the screen; but Fuloong has a serial port, so should be useful as a
server even without any VGA output.

--
Daniel JB Clark | http://pobox.com/~dclark