[gNewSense-users] more versions if you personally do the work

From: Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -
Subject: [gNewSense-users] more versions if you personally do the work
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:22:31 +0000

Hi,

Recently there have been mails requesting more versions.

A project should do it's core objective, in the case of gNewSense that was provide a free operating system which at this point it is providing three versions of it.

In all free software projects people choose to work on things that make them happy to participate.

If you know nothing about development perhaps this list of personal objectives might help.

Bug fixing.

Take one of the bugs in gNewSense and get it fixed upstream (if appropriate)
Then fix a bug or two upstream.
Go read howto's you too can empower yourself at this.

Learn is how to package software.

This can be done by studying our archives and the builder resources.
This can also be done by reading packaging guides.

Learn how to hack.

Then the next level alter code, small things anywhere. Build up from there, now oh did you notice you have gone from a nagging voice to someone who can help enable the project.

This project did not appear from nowhere, it came from taking tainted software and cleaning it up, it is serious job to keep it clean.

Without more hands this means more versions and less time on keeping it clean.

Learn how to help new users, read documentation, understand the point of the licences.

Understand why one says Free not open.
Understanding all of these things, gathering skills from above and perhaps we might have a project working on the itch you have.

Failure to do any of the above means that do not wish to contribute in my books.

Different skills can and do help in different ways.

Please don't ask for something you are not able to work on yourself it is very frustrating and almost insulting for developers to read that.

It is like you are saying "your work is failure until you do what I want", perhaps you did not think about that before, in which case please think about it going forward.

Regards,

Paul O'Malley
One of the founders of the gNewSense project!