Re: [gNewSense-users] lemote does not boot after install

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] lemote does not boot after install
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:55:26 +0100

Peter Rock schreef:
Thank you so much for your help. I have finally got gNS to boot on its
own on my YeeLoong. On the wiki however, where it says:

"Note: if the dir (wd0,0)/boot command gives you only one delo.2nd
file, you have to boot your installed system from USB key"

it says to do this:

"load (wd0,0)/boot/vmlinux-2.6.31.6-libre1"

but it should say (usb0,0) instead. And if one is following the
directions on the page, it is unlikely they have a /boot directory on
their USB. I used "load (usb0,0)/vmlinux-2.6.31.6-libre1"

Fixed.

Other notes:

I couldn't install the default kernel (2.6.32.2) but I successfully
installed 2.6.32.3

This is why the installation didn't work in the first place. We've managed to change the default kernel now. That should make the installer work again too, but I haven't tested that yet.

I also went with GRUB and noted that I had to install GRUB first. sudo
apt-get install grub-yeeloong is working for me so far. Perhaps that
step could be included in the wiki.

No GRUB by default was also a consequence of the missing kernel. Our intentions are to not repeat this incident in the future and GRUB isn't necessary for booting anyway, so I'm not going to mention this step on the wiki. If anyone sees a real need for it, feel free to edit.