Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs

From: Dmitry Samoyloff
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:32:41 +0300

Jason Self wrote:
> Interesting. Wikipedia says that the X11 license is free software and
> if the blob truly is distributed under that license, then there
> shouldn't be anything stopping someone from doing exactly as RMS
> suggested (decompile the blob, assign meaningful function & variable
> names, comments, etc.) Well, finding someone that actually wants to do
> the work would be the hardest part. Perhaps offering a financial
> bounty to the free software community?

I'm not sure what license those blobs under, there's no mention of license in
the "firmware/radeon/" directory of Linux. However, it seems that proprietary
code reaches free software trees easily these days. Look at this:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=a728f9f90911301058j180e66eaofc60d3166cef5b0%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=dri-
devel
The license of these firmwares contains "No reverse engineering,
decompilation, or disassembly of this Software is permitted.".

--
I'm an FSF member -- Help us support software freedom!
<http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=7253>