Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs

From: Dmitry Samoyloff
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 21:03:41 +0300

Jason Self wrote:
> $ xvinfo
> X-Video Extension version 2.2
> screen #0
>  no adaptors present
>
> $ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
> OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
> OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.3-rc2)
> OpenGL extensions:

There's neither XVideo support nor 3D acceleration present on your system.

>So have I been using binary blobs without realizing it?

No, I don't think so.

As I mentioned above, the blobs for R600 are included into Linux-2.6.32; they
were also available from VCS on freedesktop.org
(git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/drm). What surprised me is that 2D
performance and HD video playback are acceptable on your system, as you said.
For me it's not the case with RS780 and Linux-libre, even with bleeding edge
radeon driver. The culprits are obscure blobs in "firmware/radeon/" directory
of Linux, removed from libre versions of Linux.

Here I must note that I've been experimenting with bleeding edge on another
OS, not gNewSense. (However, all components I chose are believed to be libre.)

--
I'm an FSF member -- Help us support software freedom!
<http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=7253>