Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs (was: runlevel 3 don't work)

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs (was: runlevel 3 don't work)
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 19:26:09 -0800

On Jan 6, 2010, at 6:42 PM, Dmitry Samoyloff <address@hidden> wrote:

Jason Self wrote:
Moreover, there's no 2D acceleration also for the newer ATI chips
(without
firmwares), Xorg works slow as hell :-(

In reviewing the radeonhd changelog for version 1.3 they say that 2D
acceleration (EXA) is enabled by default now, except on RV740.

I bet they are using non-free firmware for this.

I haven't looked yet, but can check into it when I get home.

I think that AMD's level of involvement with the free software
community is enough to give them my money when I buy video cards.

I suppose, most of subscribers of this mailing list (including me) would like to use their hardware with gNewSense OS. Thus I wouldn't recommend yet ATI
GPUs for users needing 3D and appreciating a software freedom.

I thought radeonhd was free software. IIRC, it's available in the gNewSense repository and my video card works just fine with it & gNewSense (I needed to get a newer version though.) So if not AMD, then what?