Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs (was: runlevel 3 don't work)

From: Dmitry Samoyloff
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs (was: runlevel 3 don't work)
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 23:35:55 +0300

Jason Self wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2010, at 11:59 AM, Dmitry Samoyloff <address@hidden>
>
> wrote:
> > There's still no libre 3D support for ATI (at least for modern chips).
>
> The radeonhd driver site says 3D acceleration via Mesa is supported
> for r5xx/rs690 GPUs (X1xxx) and is in progress for r6xx/r7xx GPUs
> (HD2xxx-HD4xxx) but I don't need 3D myself, so I've never fully looked
> into the matter.

Moreover, there's no 2D acceleration also for the newer ATI chips (without
firmwares), Xorg works slow as hell :-(

I believe it is a community pressure (http://www.fsf.org/photos/rms-sign.jpg)
which is lead ATI to releasing their specs. However that was not enough:
required firmwares remains non-free.

Currently I am trying to find out what's wrong with ATI's blobs. About a year
ago ATI released GPL-ed disassembling tools for their AtomBIOS, so the source
code of firmwares should be acceptable in theory. However I can't find the
license information for the disassembled code.

Can anyone on the list to shed some light on this situation?

--
Regards, Dmitry Samoyloff