Re: [gNewSense-users] runlevel 3 don't work

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] runlevel 3 don't work
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 21:20:41 +0100

Richard schreef:
Well yes, but where the computer is from, they don't know exactly free software and they are not really interested in. I can be glad if the computer is compatible to linux.

My think is, i you by a computer somewhere, you can't really check all the hardware in it, if you are not an expert.

So free software, can hit here to a wall, because you can only by what you can get.

What you could do is burn gNewSense to a disc [1], go to the computer store, give them the disc and say "I want a computer that works with this software". So instead of spending hours searching through vague hardware specifications yourself and then praying that you bought the right stuff you put the burden on the retailer. And if you have a choice in computer hardware retailers nearby you can just pick the one that provides you with the best working configuration, making sure that the other ones know why you didn't choose for them.

If your only options are online shops then you can at least send them an email explaining your needs. You could also try sending them a gNewSense disc via snail mail, accompanied with a letter explaining it. I'm sure that would get you some attention.

And even if none of these things get you better hardware immediately, it will at least make those shops aware that there are more consumers like you out there. So they will consider offering more free software friendly hardware in the future. It they aren't interested in Free software now, you as a consumer have the power to make them interested.

[1] Maybe Trisquel would be better suited for this purpose.