Re: [gNewSense-users] runlevel 3 don't work

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] runlevel 3 don't work
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 20:22:27 +0100

Richard schreef:
Victor Cortiano wrote:
If you are trying to install the proprietary nvidia driver, I think
it won't work with the kernel used in Gnewsense. Not sure tho...

nvidia supports different linux distributions. Even in some kernel there are nvidia drivers imported, because the readmy files on nvidia tells, that those drivers should get disabled befor installing the new one. I think a have also seen somewhere the drivers code witch can be compiled, but i am not sure about this, it was on my first search on this issue.

The driver from Nvidia's website is non-free software. gNewSense is about providing users like you with a completely free computing environment. Helping you install this driver would be the opposite of what this project stands for, so we won't help you with that.

The best that gNewSense can offer you now is the nv driver, which you're probably using by default if you have Nvidia hardware. The nouveau project is making a free driver with more features (like 3D support), but that's not finished or easily installable yet, as far as I know.