Re: [gNewSense-users] Launchpad licensed under AGPL v3.0: Consequences f

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Launchpad licensed under AGPL v3.0: Consequences for gNS?
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:49:24 +0930

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:19:26 -0400
Eric Morey <address@hidden> wrote:

> http://blog.launchpad.net/general/launchpad-is-now-open-source:
> https://dev.launchpad.net/Getting:
> > The images/icons are still copyrighted traditionally, to protect
> > Launchpad's visual identity. But they're shipped with the code and
> > are fine to use for development and testing purposes. Just if you
> > launch a production server, it needs to look different -- and have
> > a different name, of course, as "Launchpad" is a trademark.

Wonder if that means 'all artwork, including bug icons are under a
restrictive copyright' or just the LP related branding.

> Images are "traditionally" copyrighted and trademarks will be
> enforced.

Hopefully separately, not in the mixed up way mozilla do it.

> Should gNewSense consider using Launchpad for development and bug
> tracking?

For primary hosting, no.
Apart from anything else, we have a Savannah project.

> Would the FSF interested in hosting a launchpad server?

Not something we can answer, but I doubt its yes.

> Does this matter to gNewSense?

"This" being 'launchpad becoming free software'? Not directly.

> It seems like the world is a step closer to an Ubuntu and gNewSense
> equivalency...

To me this is a bit like saying "Oh good, we can fly, we are no one
step closer to being immortal".
kk

--
Sent mobile, appologies for no GPG sig.
Sent offline, appologies if its already been answered better.