Re: [gNewSense-users] Launchpad licensed under AGPL v3.0: Consequences f

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Launchpad licensed under AGPL v3.0: Consequences for gNS?
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:27:00 +0200

Eric Morey schreef:
Launchpad's weblog announces that 100% of the Launchpad code is now
libre licensed under the GNU Affero General Public license, version 3.
http://blog.launchpad.net/general/launchpad-is-now-open-source:
We released it today under the GNU Affero General Public license,
version 3. Note that although we had previously announced that we’d be
holding back two components (codehosting and soyuz), we changed our
minds: they are included — all the code is open.

Images are "traditionally" copyrighted and trademarks will be enforced.
https://dev.launchpad.net/Getting:
The images/icons are still copyrighted traditionally, to protect
Launchpad's visual identity. But they're shipped with the code and are
fine to use for development and testing purposes. Just if you launch a
production server, it needs to look different -- and have a different
name, of course, as "Launchpad" is a trademark.

Slashdot has picked up the story:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/mxo4pe

Should gNewSense consider using Launchpad for development and bug
tracking? Would the FSF interested in hosting a launchpad server? Does
this matter to gNewSense?

It's been brought up before [1]. I think it's a very useful set of tools and I have awaited this day with excitement. I hung around #launchpad-dev today, mostly for congratulatory purposes. But there were other people trying to set it up, and having some difficulties with it. It seems it's still very Ubuntu/Canonical specific. And I think it's a pretty hefty bunch of software too. I don't know how much maintenance would be involved.

I believe Karl has already done a partial move to Savannah [2], but I'm not sure if that decision is final. I guess it would help if someone volunteered to set up and maintain a Launchpad instance for us.

In any case, I've added it to BTS overview [3].

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-dev/2009-04/msg00153.html
[2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-dev/2009-06/msg00054.html
[3] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/BugTrackingSystemMigration