[gNewSense-users] Autodetect Screen Resolution

From: Jason Self
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Autodetect Screen Resolution
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 22:01:52 -0700

I can't see to get my monitor to run at full resolution. (I seem to be
stuck at 1600 x 1200 even though the max should be 1920 x 1200.)

To provide some background, what I'm working with is an ASUS
EAH3450/DI/256M Radeon HD 3450 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16
HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Ready Video Card.

My research indicates that the Radeon HD 3450 is considered RV620 and
needs the radeonhd driver to run at full resolution. So I run sudo
aptitude install xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd and obtained version
1.1.0-1.

My research indicates that Ubuntu 8.04 (on which gNewSense is based)
uses autodetects hardware: http://help.ubuntu.com/community/XORGHardy
so it seems that X should now auto detect the radeonhd driver, but I'm
still stuck at 1600 x 1200 even after a full system restart.

I've also tried sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xorg but was never
prompted for which driver to use.

I've run out of ideas and I'm hoping that someone might have some input.

A copy of my xorg.conf can be found at http://pastebin.ca/1493311
A copy of my X log can be found at http://pastebin.ca/1493312