Re: [gNewSense-users] codec faq

From: christophe . jarry
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] codec faq
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 13:32:52 +0200

Quoting 龍四 <address@hidden>:

Having VLC and mplayer in our repo would be useful.

I guess distros do not carry VLC is because its illegal in some countries.

Yes, it is. But VLC (and mplayer free part) issue was already discussed about a year ago (see http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-users/2008-08/msg00009.html).

I think we should create a new official repository beside "main" and "multiverse", much like Multistanza (http://freedomdreams.co.uk/wiki/Multistanza). This repo would contain free software that doesn't exist in Ubuntu's main and universe because of legal issues in some countries. It will have to be activated by the user himself, with a clear message on legal issues in some countries. I still don't have any idea about the name this repository should have.

Christophe