Re: [gNewSense-users] RE: I decided to abandon gNewSense

From: David Sterry
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] RE: I decided to abandon gNewSense
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 08:41:34 -0700

Referencing the Community Guidelines at http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/CommunityGuidelines everyone please take note that we as a community do not want to be recommending or supporting non-free software. There are many places to get support and recommendations for such things. It is our goal to help gNewSense users by strictly supporting only free software.

To this end I would like to address the internet video issue again. I have a workable solution for gNewSense 2.2 that invokes Totem from GNU Icecat. It uses Greasemonkey( http://www.greasespot.net/ ) and a script called YouTube Perfect ( http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/38074 ).

For hardware related problems or for the uninitiated, it is possible to use gNewSense from a virtual machine by adding only free software to your computer. This comes close to the recommending and supporting non-free software line but in my opinion does not cross it since our client has already stated he's running a non-free OS. The howto is here: http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Documentation/InstallInVM

-weex