[gNewSense-users] emu10k1 / Alsa troubleshooting.

From: Brian Kemp
Subject: [gNewSense-users] emu10k1 / Alsa troubleshooting.
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 10:55:12 -0400

This may be more meaningful upstream (and that's my next destination),
but I'll start here.

I have emu10k1-based soundcard (Creative SoundBlaster Live! line) in
my gNS box. Since it's one of the best-supported cards for Free
Software, I used it. I also have a couple of spares I'd be happy to
ship worldwide, and they're quite common.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to configure ALSA / alsamixer /
gnome-volume-control "just so" w/ gNS2.2 so that I can sample over the
microphone (ekiga, mumble, etc.) but not have awful feedback with
speakers. The last time I muted the microphone I couldn't get any
meaningful input when I tried to sample again.

Does anyone have this card (or would offer to help me out if I shipped
them a card) and is willing to help? I'm just struggling to make sense
of it.

The cards work fine afaict, it's just configuration is a bit of a
hassle right now.

Feel free to reply off-list. if others are having the same problem I
can stuff answers in the wiki.
--BK