[gNewSense-users] Web embedded video

From: Brian Kemp
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Web embedded video
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 10:50:10 -0400

>You're right, it works only for YouTube. YouPorn flix act like the signal is
not coming through fast, and i still get nothing on mlb.com
>but the youtube stuff looked great.  unfortunately, I hardly ever go to
YouTube.

Hmm. On the Ubuntu distribution that someone made for my XO there's a
script called "Tubewatcher" -- I wonder if that's the same thing Ali
had you install from Greasemonkey?

I know the Tubewatcher script itself is GPL-licensed, so it's Free. (I
looked.) It looks like it uses FFmpeg.* Been a while since I fired up
my XO.

I'll see if I can find some time to install the decoders on a spare
box to see if I can arrive at a decent solution for you.

>i'll probably get a tv if i can, to watch the Red Sox, and to get the
premium movie channels through my cable company.  Making this little laptop
an entertainment center for me (read: low cost) is not working out.  I can
get the Red Sox and all the movie channels for $103 a month, including my
internet connection ($30).  I was paying $26 for Netflix and $19.95 for MLB
Premium (monthly), so it's only costing me $24 more than that for all of it
on a big screen, plus lots of tv channels.  It seems the best way for me.

Having a backup plan is always a good idea.

* Yes I know all about the patent stuff. That's why I don't have them
installed right now on the gNS box; I'm going to be slightly annoyed
if Teapot pre-installed patented codecs.

I do know that mp3 is effectively no-cost for personal decoding /
music library use, but not sure about MPEG video. That might mean a
trip to the fluendo store; we'll have to see about that...