Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: libre people

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: libre people
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 14:49:26 +0200

Yavor Doganov schreef:
Sam Geeraerts wrote:
- a catchy acronym: GAP

This acronym is already taken, so please don't use it.  In the mind of
every GNUstep user GAP stands for "GNUstep Application Project" [1].
It is in the process to become a GNU package, AFAIK.  GNUstep was the
official GNU desktop (where "desktop" is something in the works...)
before the inception of GNOME, and is even more important today when
many people bow before Muck OS X.

[1] http://gap.nongnu.org

I didn't know about that. Without wanting to downplay the importance of GNUstep, if we can't come up with anything else and this is what people like the most, how 'bad' would it be if we were to stick with GAP? E.g.:

- Do GNUstep users know about gNewSense (and so aren't our target audience)?
- Is GAP commonly used as an acronym within the GNUstep community?
- Is it well known by all GNUstep users, or just mostly the developers?

These put the focus back on gNewSense instead of freedom.

Perhaps I miss the context of the discussion, but that looks wrong:
the focus should always be on freedom.  In an ideal world, an effort
and a distro like gNewSense should not exist -- every GNU distribution
ought to be entirely free software like gNS.

Sadly, in the not so ideal world we live in, Joe Regular is a lot more responsive to products than to philosophies. The shift in focus would be from

Free software is important ... blah ... free as in freedom ... blah ... 4 freedoms ... blah ... ethics ... blah ... divided ... blah ... helpless ... blah ... freedom of choice ... by the way, gNewSense is free software.

gNewSense is the best of what free software has to offer. Because it is free software, gNS ... blah ... free as in freedom ... blah ... gNS respects users ... blah ... 4 freedoms ... blah ... copy this gNS disc and give it to your friends ... blah ... gNS doesn't leave users divided and helpless ... blah ... shall I install it now or do you want to try the live CD?

So instead of trying to explain the abstract concept of free software (which usually just gives you blank stares) and then giving gNewSense as a possible option, we name and show gNewSense to keep Joe's attention while explaining why it matters. It's not that the focus would be less on freedom, it's just a more concrete way of explaining it.