Re: [gNewSense-users] Graphics card - Communication to company of wish t

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Graphics card - Communication to company of wish to use free software drivers
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:42:11 +0100

Niklas Cholmkvist schreef:
Hi,

I wonder if anyone of you have communicated with the company that
manufactured your graphics/video card to tell them that you prefer
free software drivers.
I've not done it yet, and I want to know if you see a reason in doing
so, or not doing so. (posting to site forums or sending a direct
email)

I own nvidia graphics/video cards so I would communicate with that
specific company.

Telling a company that you want free drivers from them (or at least publicly available documentation) is always a good thing. The worst effect it can have is that they ignore you. But it can also be that your message pushes them over the tipping point and that they make it happen.

Be sure to lay out your arguments clearly. Do not call them names or be unfriendly. Not only would that make your arguments less credible, it could make the rest of the free software community look bad as well. Besides explaining about free software, put the pressure where they feel it the most: sales. Say that you won't buy from them again and that you will use your influence as only computer geek in town to advise other people against buying from them. (Don't lie, adjust that to your own situation.) If you have a blog: write about your communication and let them know about that article. Call upon other people to follow your example (e.g. on this mailing list), some people just need a nudge to spur them into action.

I must admit I haven't written to a video card company (yet), mostly because 3D is not that important to me. On the other hand, if I buy a video card I want to be able to use it to its fullest potential and I want 'regular' people to not have to care about technical stuff to enjoy freedom. So I probably should.

I have, however, written to other companies, like TOMTOM, for not providing me with the freedom I'd like.