Re: [gNewSense-users] basic questions about gNS

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] basic questions about gNS
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 20:26:17 -0500

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 16:45 -0500, Bubba cakes wrote:
> Thanks, Ted.  I do have Evolution, and I already use it for Calendar
> and Contacts.  So I'll see about using an email address with it.
>
> My thinking on a proxy server is that it's a computer that I connect
> to in order to send emails that are not linked to my IP address.  I
> know nothing.  I thought it was a way to become insulated from prying
> eyes.
>
> I believe that there are US Constitution breakers who spy on internet
> users.  For example, Homeland Security, that US Federal tobacco, drug,
> and firearms agency, (I forget its name), etc.  Just on principle, I
> would like to be anonymous when I use my computer to contact
> companies, friends, and information sources.  Not that I have anything
> to hide, I just don't like the current U.S. slide toward fascism.  So
> I'm becoming more private.

I sure as hell wouldn't put it past them. Less the ATF than the NSA, but
yeah, the Constitution isn't really important anymore, it seems.

Gmail is a proxy server in that regard, but your original IP will both
be logged on Gmail's servers and probably included in the email.
Anonymous email is hard to come by -- though Mixmaster, the level II
anonymous remailer, should be in the repositories. Be warned, it's a
b**** to set up.

It's much easier to protect your email from prying eyes by encrypted it.
I suggest you set up GPG with Evolution (it's easy to do that) and then
get the people you email with on a regular basis to set up GPG as well,
if not with Evolution, than with Thunderbird and Enigmail (thunderbird
will work everywhere, even on non-free systems).

Remember, there is a difference between anonymity and encryption.
Anonymity protects a hostile third party from knowing who you are and
who you're talking to; encryption doesn't protect against that, but does
protect a hostile third party from knowing what you are talking about.
Consider the use case carefully before setting up any security measure.

Good luck.

- Ted