Re: [gNewSense-users] basic questions about gNS

From: Tor at Shared Genius
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] basic questions about gNS
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:59:09 -1000

Well, Ted said things very well, bu since I was already working on this I'll send it. I too am not inclined to trust those agencies you mentioned, and wouldn't put it past them... I'm lucky in that even though my IP is nearly static, there are quite a few people using the same connection, which confuses some issues a bit.

Tor

Bubba cakes wrote:
Hi, all,
I hope this is the right list...

I have some basic questions, and I wonder if this is the place to ask them.
This is the -users list, which is for user questions, so yes, this is the right place.

I want to know about internet security, how to keep my computer from being infected with viruses, spamware, spyware, adware, whatever-ware...
There isn't much to be worried about. You can run ClamAV, but that is more for preventing you from inadvertently forwarding windows viruses. Keeping to the repositories it becomes much less likely that such malware would even exist on your computer, and writers of of free software are much less likely to try hiding nasties in their programs in the first place.

Is there a program that I can run to check all my files and drives for security problems?

What about a firewall?
By default, only essential ports are open. If you want to inspect open ports (not needed unless it is amusing to you to know), you can install firestarter (sudo apt-get install firestarter), but there is no need of doing so.

Actually, I don't know what I need. I'm a construction guy, and need you computer guys to tell me what to do.
Basically, nothing is required.

/I would like to be able to browse the internet without being monitored by anyone. I would also like to send emails without receiving ten freakin advertisements based on words I just sent to someone. Is this possible?/

Is it possible to use the internet and email (Gmail) without somebody always reading/monitoring my activities?
As Ted said, unless you want to /encrypt/ your email (not exactly easy, and most people won't be able to read them if you do), there is no way to prevent anyone on the entire path of the email from being able to read them. Gmail uses scripts to insert those ads, but I still wouldn't care for it. Since I don't trust those services (for storage, can't do much about transit, but laws are stronger when email is in transit) I use pop3, and store everything locally. Storage also becomes effectively unlimited. I primarily use email from domains I own, and promptly download new messages. I have even considered setting up my own mail server, but I don't think I would bother with that just for concern of prying eyes.

I have used tor for browsing a bit, but it is slow. More servers would help, but the nature of the network won't ever let it become really fast.

Is Gmail email using a proxy server? (I think it is, but don't really know.)

HELP!

Patrick