[gNewSense-users] basic questions about gNS

From: Bubba cakes
Subject: [gNewSense-users] basic questions about gNS
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 16:23:41 -0500

Hi, all,
I hope this is the right list...

I have some basic questions, and I wonder if this is the place to ask them.

I want to know about internet security, how to keep my computer from being infected with viruses, spamware, spyware, adware, whatever-ware...

Is there a program that I can run to check all my files and drives for security problems?

What about a firewall?

Actually, I don't know what I need.  I'm a construction guy, and need you computer guys to tell me what to do.

I would like to be able to browse the internet without being monitored by anyone.  I would also like to send emails without receiving ten freakin advertisements based on words I just sent to someone.  Is this possible?

Is it possible to use the internet and email (Gmail) without somebody always reading/monitoring my activities?

Is Gmail email using a proxy server? (I think it is, but don't really know.)

HELP!

Patrick