Re: [gNewSense-users] printer compatibility with gNewSense

From: Dara Adib
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] printer compatibility with gNewSense
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:39:41 -0500

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Quiliro Ordóñez <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear friends.
>
> I am looking for low cost laser printers and have found 2 in my area:
> Hewlett Packard HP1005 (103,90 USD + tax)
> Samsung ML2240 (76 USD + tax)
>
> Any of these compatible with freedom?

The FSF Hardware Database for Printers[1] provides a general
explanation for printer support. There are two reliable places to
check: the HPLIP Project[2] (note: Driver Plug-in column should say
No) for HP printers and the OpenPrinting Database[3] (beware of
non-free drivers and firmware) for all printers.

HP LaserJet 1005 Series: The free HPLIP driver has support for the
printer, but requires additional *non-free* firmware to function.[4]
The OpenPrinting Database says the printer is also supported by the
free foo2zjs driver, but I can't verify for certain if any additional
non-free firmware is required.[5] (Someone else's input, please?)

I couldn't find any reliable info on the Samsung ML2240. Samsung may
have their own non-free driver.

As a recommendation, if feasible, try to look for a printer which
supports PostScript. If the printer supports PostScript it will almost
definitely be compatible with freedom.

Cheers,
Dara

[1] http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/printers