Re: [gNewSense-users] problem playing DVD's

From: Bubba cakes
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] problem playing DVD's
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:02:32 +1800

Is "ripping a CD" the same as burning music onto a CD?

I rent DVD's sometimes, but usually I check them out from my local library in Ausable Forks, NY.  Or a friend will lend me DVDs.

I couldn't find VLC Media Player.  I went to Add/Remove Programs and did a search.  Then I went to the SPM (Synaptic Package Manager) and did a search.  And finally I went to the gNS website and did a search.  The thing doesn't exist.  But I downloaded Kaffeine, and the ffsomethings plugins, and another plugin that showed in a search, and the dvd started playing, so I have totem and kaffeine, and both play Road Trip.  We'll see if it still works when i return home on Sunday

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Ted Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, 2009-01-24 at 23:20 +0800, Koh Choon Lin wrote:
> > However, I think buying CD's would be safe, as they're pretty easy to
> > rip, and no rootkit could run on GNU/Linux. Are CD's encrypted in the
> > same sense that DVD's are?
>
> Rootkits certainly can run on a GNU system.

Correct. What I meant was, no rootkit (distributed by Sony and probably
for Windows) could install from ripping a CD. Unless you were ripping
the CD as root for some reason.