Re: [gNewSense-users] problem playing DVD's

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] problem playing DVD's
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 00:22:46 -0500

On Sat, 2009-01-24 at 22:20 +1800, Bubba cakes wrote:
> I'm in New York.

Well, don't worry -- to my knowledge, DeCSS is illegal in the US as
well. :) However, unlike Singapore (I can't speak for Singapore), it
almost certainly isn't enforced, and is safe to install and use.

If you think it's rather unjust for a "free" country to ban a piece of
software, you should stop buying encrypted DVD's, and write your
congresspeople to tell them not to support the Digital Millennium
Copyright Act, the law that makes tools like DeCSS criminal. They will
probably ignore you, because the money they get from the MPAA (Motion
Picture Association of America) is far more than that they could get
from you, but hopefully if enough people voice their concern over this
truly orwellian law, it will be overturned.